Sunday, January 22, 2012

It’s Been a While…

…but I am back. There is so much on my mind and so much has transpired I don’t even know where to begin. So in no particular order I think I will just start and do a stream of consciousness sort of thing – just what ever comes up.

Zelda skyward sword 

Rick and I just celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary, He gave me the new Zelda, Skyward Sword game for our Wii. I know that sounds like a goofy gift but I couldn’t think of anything I would enjoy more! I am a big fan of the Zelda games and while I am horrible at playing the game I sure do enjoy it. Seriously, I am the worlds worst player – it takes me months and months to complete a game, but I love every maddening and frustrating second of it.

I have a very busy brain, which is very hard to focus and hardly ever rests or shuts down, so it is hard to find a break, distraction or any mental vacation time. However, when I play Zelda – I am hyper-focused and playing it fully, completely, totally, it’s Zelda and only Zelda – everything else disappears. It is a brain vacation – or the closest I can get to one. I come away feeling refreshed and feel like I can look at the world with fresh eyes.

And boy do I need fresh eyes these days.

I dropped out of the artist mentor program I was in. There I said it. It’s out there, but I still don’t really want to talk about it yet. It was definitely the correct thing to do – but a very emotional decision. Like I said – not ready to talk about it…

I haven’t been painting.  I don’t want to talk about that yet either.

I wanted to do something artistically fun, something light. Something different. So I found Carla Sonheim’s SIlly U online and enrolled in a couple of classes. It was fun, a nice light review, with exercises that I haven’t visited for decades. I liked the imaginary creatures best – and I discovered that while I consider myself an animal lover – I don’t really have a lot of familiarity with them. I did a few one-liner drawings from my imagination/memory. That means once your pen hits the paper you don’t lift it until you are finished – and no reference material was used, using a flowing lyrical movement. Exactly what I was looking for. Not great art – but fun.

Here is one of my favorite drawings – and you’ll see some more popping up now and then I am sure.

giraffe-line-drawing-350px

No comments:

Post a Comment