Saturday, March 03, 2012

Another Rant

Ok. so I am getting a few things that have been bugging me off my chest lately, and here’s another one. Yes, it is language again.
Yes – I am digging in my heels and screaming “NO!!!” – again.
This one is about the difference between chucking and chunking things.
I hear people say they are going to “chunk” something meaning they are throwing it out or getting rid of it.
I could not possibly explain it any more simply or any better than they did here at BeeDictionary. Here is what they say:

chunk vs chuck : Common Errors in English

In casual conversation, you may get by with saying “Chuck [throw] me that monkey wrench, will you?” But you will mark yourself as illiterate beyond mere casualness by saying instead “Chunk me that wrench.” This is a fairly common substitution in some dialects of American English.
chunk Meaning(s)
  • (n) a compact mass
  • (n) a substantial amount
  • (v) put together indiscriminately
  • (v) group or chunk together in a certain order or place side by side
chuck Meaning(s)
  • (n) informal terms for a meal (like what you get from a chuck wagon)
  • (n) the part of a forequarter from the neck to the ribs and including the shoulder blade (a chuck roast)
  • (n) a holding device consisting of adjustable jaws that center a workpiece in a lathe or center a tool in a drill
  • (v) throw carelessly
  • (v) throw away
  • (v) pat or squeeze fondly or playfully, especially under the chin
  • (v) eject the contents of the stomach through the mouth (as in up-chuck)

No comments:

Post a Comment