Monday, February 27, 2012

Butternut Squash, Carrot & Parsnip Ragoût

The kitchen is not my natural habitat. 

As a little girl I never dreamed of being a mom and a homemaker. I remember playing shop keeper - but not restaurant or cook. Domesticity doesn't come real easy and natural for me. So when I read recipes with words like "ragout" - I don't know what the heck it is - or how to serve it. 

What I do know is what I get in my CSA bin - and this week I got some butternut squash, I had some carrots from last time, and I  got some parsnips. ( I LOVE me some parsnips!)

I started "googling" and found this recipe on my CSA site - JR Organics, nice and convenient! They have a bunch of recipes there.

My husband came home and I got to talking to him and just burned the ever-lovin' daylights out of the onion - so we ate it without the onions and I served it on brown rice. I am still not sure what ragout is or how you are supposed to serve it - but I know this was yummy! The picture doesn't do it justice.

 And I just gotta say - my Vidalia Chop Wizard makes stuff like this a breeze! I love that thing!


By the way - my red plates are chipped and broken to the point that I need to start looking for new dishes. I wonder if there is an ideal color or pattern that makes food look good - maybe even if it isn't? Just kidding - but I wonder if there is a preferred dish or plate color that complements the most food - white, you think? Ugh - boring - I don't know if I could do white - more googling I guess.

Here is the recipe - give it a try - it was pretty good.stuff.


Butternut Squash, Carrot & Parsnip Ragoût

Ingredients
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash, (about 1 pound)
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 1/4 cups vegetable or chicken broth, divided
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups diced carrots
2 cups diced parsnips
1 teaspoon sugar
2 large leeks, trimmed (all but 2 inches of green removed), cleaned and chopped
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Heat oil in a shallow roasting pan on the stovetop over medium heat.
Add squash, season with salt and pepper and toss gently.
Add 1/2 cup broth and transfer the pan to the oven.
Bake until squash is just tender, about 15 minutes; do not overcook.
Meanwhile, heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Add carrots, parsnips, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste; cook until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
Add 1/2 cup broth, cover the pan and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
Transfer to a dish and set aside.
Add leeks and the remaining 1/4 cup broth to the pan, season with salt and pepper, cover the pan and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
Add the reserved squash, carrots and parsnips and toss gently.
Taste and adjust seasonings, adding a grating of nutmeg.
Simmer for an additional 3 to 4 minutes to warm through before serving.


Have you visited me here? N S Davis Art Website Nathalie Davis web site

No comments:

Post a Comment