Wednesday, March 04, 2009

New Work


Remembering the Wig Head
15" x 19"
Acrylic on canvas

Bursting Forth
16" x 20"
Acrylic on canvas

I am posting these 2 paintings - although I am not so sure I should. They are pretty lame - but it feels pretty good to be working a little bit again.

Remembering The Wig Head is a painting I did for the Different Strokes from Different Folks challenge. Karin Jurick posts a photo and different people do an interpretation of it and she posts them. I did a few digital sketches/paintings but them first, but then I painted totally from memory - and of course I over painted it. But at least I painted - right?

The second painting - Bursting Forth - I am not even sure I will keep. I am not happy with the color at all. So there you have it - I am going to take a nap. My head is pounding again - the doctor visits are helping, and I am moving again so that is good - I hope to paint again this afternoon.

You know - I am beginning to really regret all the snide remarks I have made in my life about abstract art. "My kid could do that" or "looks like a monkey painted it" and "that's stupid - what's it supposed to be" - it's all coming back to haunt me - it is much more difficult than painting a pear or a portrait! Bigger challenge than I ever thought it would be. LOL!


Visit me here:
www.NathalieDavis.com
NathalieSDavis.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. Nathalie-- Love your Mea Culpa-- guess we've all said things we wish we could take back.

    I like your take on the wig head-- pared down, simplified; nice choice of colors. It has a bit of an old world feel.

    Hope you don't pitch out your 'Bursting Forth' too quickly. (When I work on a painting that doesn't go well, I turn it to the wall so I can't see it, and look at it again after a suitable time has passed -- a week, month; it varies.) There are some nice things in this painting, and if nothing else, maybe after some time you'll identify them and use them for your next masterpiece.
    t

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the DSFDF piece it's has such a wonderful presence. great rendition for this challenge.
    Your abstract piece is wonderful too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks R, yes - my "mouth" can get out ahead of me - I did exactly as you said - put the Bursting Forth painting away - but I gotta tell ya - it feels like when I was a kid and afraid of the "thing" under the bed. Especially at night, that painting comes to mind and creeps me out - I don't think I can let it survive, I may hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dominique - thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete