Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A New Start and Fresh Focus

I have had a conversation and emailed recently with Vanessa about people taking art classes for a very long time and not getting much better. I decided that I am one of those people. True, up until recently I have not had many good teachers. I have learned more from Vanessa and Ron in the last year than I have from most of the teachers I've had over the past 40+ years put together. Except for Dianna Attie - she will always stand out in my memory as the very best drawing teacher I've ever had.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out why it is that I have been at this art thing for most of my life and I still can't draw and paint very well. I'm not looking to "blame" myself or anyone else - I just want to find out what it is so I can fix it.

I need a plan, a map and a destination.

I think in general I have not taken it as seriously as I am doing now. While I think I am improving - I think I should be doing better than I am. I feel like I am missing stuff but I don't know what it is. Well, I do know some of it. So what I am going to do is design a "course of study" for myself -- which is fancy-talk for making a list of things I need to address and then master those things, at which time I can make another list. Training to win, with the goal being to be able to draw and paint well. I guess I need to define "well" don't I.

I know fear and lack of confidence is a big part of it, but lacking in certain skills is the root of it all.

I will be developing a good vision of where I want to go with my art.

I don't think it's a "talent" issue, I have more than some people, less than others -- so I should have enough to get the job done. It's gotta be other stuff. Can't see and replicate color, can't draw a likeness, don't recognize and translate value very well, maybe I don't really understand form even. I think I understand temperature -- but I don't apply it effectively. Heck - maybe I don't even get that. I am not trying to be "down" on myself or critical -- really. I just know that I have flaws and weaknesses and I want to master them- one at a time. To do that I need to identify them and then have a plan or method or training schedule to go after them.
I need some concrete stuff here - I get so wrapped up and spun around and foggy trying to think about this.

So in summary - that is what this BLOG has just become all about, my development as an artist. About setting some concrete goals and how to go about attaining them. I will be tracking my progress here.

No comments:

Post a Comment