Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Two portraits for my daily painting endeavors


Portrait of Pam
11" x 14"
oil on Masonite


Pam 2
8" x 10"
oil on Masonite

I had a very good day in painting class today. It seems that months and months of struggling came together really quickly today. I did 'Portrait of Pam' first, not really sure of how to approach the process, how to handle using this much white, and after a brief discussion with Vanessa it just seemed to flow off my brush and knife and onto the surface. I was nearly ecstatic. I rarely if ever get what's in my head out into the visible realm. Part of the reason is that I don't really ever have a clear defined concept in my head - they are foggy and misty and wiggly and very difficult to get a hold of. It's one of those experiences that when I see it I know whether "that's it" or "that's not it" - usually "that's not it." These look like what I have had in my head for a while. I think the digital experimenting has been quite helpful too. (See Dec 3 Two Digital Paintings) I had the smaller 8" x 10" board available and tried a quick second go at it -"Pam 2" is not quite as successful, but I can't complain, I am still pretty happy with it. Now it will probably take forever to dry - it is thick and it is a whole heck of a lot of Titanium white - about the slowest drying paint I know of.

Visit me here:
NathalieSDavis.blogspot.com
www.NSDavisArt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment