Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Welcome to 2008 - the year of Self-Discipline and Will Power


BLACK VASE AND EGG 8 X 10 OIL ON CANVASBOARD This painting was done in about 80 minutes. I am trying for 1 to 1 1/2 hour daily paintings in an attempt to improve my confidence and speed and not get bogged down in details and picking it to death.

I have spent a lot of time trying to set some goals and structure for 2008. I am a little tired - well not tired - ummm, I don't know what the word is right now so I will go with tired, of living my life by the seat of my pants. I just want to pay more attention and live more purposefully and thoughtfully. I generally feel like a stone skipping across the face of the water, just touching down here and there as I speed along. Those touchdowns usually are really joyful for me but I am not sure it is so joyful for others. Just as the stone disturbs the water when it hits on it way by, I often feel like I can be a disturbance to friends and family with my loose and carefree ways. I also often have the sense that I am missing out on things - like depth and meaningfulness. Don't get me wrong here, I am pretty darn happy with me and my life and I am not looking for HUGE changes, just some changes. I will be writing more about these things, but for now I set the goal of working in my studio from 9AM to 4PM daily, staring the day with my little daily painting for EBay. I am very proud to say that I was in my studio at 9:20AM this morning and I have my first daily painting of the year. I set a timer so I would stay on schedule. I went over my allotted hour by about 20 minutes. All in all, good progress in the right direction. YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment