Friday, January 16, 2009

New Daily Painting a Day and 5 Sentences


Yellow Tulip Shadow Essence
3.75" x 5"
Oil on Hardboard

I read 5 sentences at lunch that influenced me to make today's painting. I could not even read any further - I had to practically run to the studio and paint this little painting. An article by artist Christopher Schink in the current issues of The Palette Magazine says " Simple doesn't mean easy. When you take a minimalist approach, you can do less, but you have to do it better. Legendary Russian ballet dancer Rudolph Nureyev said that the problem he faced when performing was not making the difficult look easy, but rather making it look interesting. That's similar to the problem faced by experienced painters who take a minimalist approach. They have the skill to paint a barn or a figure or a bouquet of flowers in every detail, and they can convincingly depict a complicated scene or event, but reducing any of these subjects to its essence is a far greater challenge"

When I read those first 5 sentences some kind of bell rang in my head. I have been interested in moving toward more abstract work and mulling it over and over in my head. I have been sort of stuck on the big portrait the last few days, but now I think I may have a direction to get me over the hump and back on my way. Plus I like this little semi-abstract tulip today so much better than yesterdays too, it's more fun. Yay!

Now - back to work.....
Visit me here:
NathalieSDavis.blogspot.com
www.NSDavisArt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment