Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Big Portrait Painting


Dog Stealer - unfinished
48" x 60"
Oil on canvas

I have successfully found a way to keep from working on the Joyful-Joyful project - and that is by working on the Dog Stealer portrait. It is nearing completion - I am pretty happy with the likeness of both my husband and my - excuse me - his - dog. But the background isn't right yet. The fingers are still a little funky too. I thought I wanted an effect like a glare coming from a big window - and I may have achieved that but I am not sure now that that is what I really want, nor do I think it is working effectively in the painting - it just isn't right. I am certainly open for suggestions and critiquing - if any of you have two cents - toss it my way, I could use some help. This portrait has become a bit of a monkey on my back and I will be glad to resolve it 's problems and move on.

I also want to say thank you to everyone who has commented and left me messages lately - I can't begin to tell you how much it means to me. Thanks.

Visit me here:
www.NathalieDavis.com
NathalieSDavis.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. great portrait, I love all the colours going on there

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this painting Nath, The only thing that doesn't work for me is the turpy drips and runs down the canvas. I love your painting style though.jb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nathalie - I love this painting for so many reasons...love the light and I especially like the beautiful warm colors especially the runny colors. We have a little 14 year old schnauzer (yours looks like a schnauzer, too) anyway, I love the way your husband is holding his little pup with much love and care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Angela - she IS a little schnauzer - and you can tell?? Ours is 9, and very small, maybe 10 pounds after dinner. I am thrilled. Thank you so much. The two of them are inseparable (Hubby and dog)The title of the painting is "Dog Stealer" - she WAS my dog.....LOL (sort of...)

    ReplyDelete