Wednesday, February 04, 2009

New Abstract Paintings



Okay, so I am calling this Abstract 1 for now. It is OK I guess - I don't love it but I don't really hate it either. It is colorful, I like that about it. It has energy too I guess. This one measures 12" x 24" and it is my first attempt at a totally out of my head non-objective painting in class. As my friend said "it looks like spin art." LOL - I totally agree. I am not sure if I will keep it or scrape it off and see what comes of it. I was vaguely thinking "hearts unfold like flowers" when I painted this and I see the "flower" influence - but not successful in that regard otherwise.


This is Abstract 2 for now, measures 5" x 8" and I did this while waiting for another surface to dry - which it never did in time. This feels more comfortable and more like "me" - probably because it is figurative, and I rather like this one - it's a keeper anyway. However - for supposedly focusing on 'Joyful-Joyful"- this ain't joyful at all! Once again - not successful in that regard. And there you have it - the results from my first class with Reed Cardwell. It was a good class -I was brave and stepped outside of my comfort zone with less than disastrous results -so it is all good. I think I will be switching to acrylics for this class - just easier to deal with for now. And I will prepare canvasses in advance so I am not wasting time in class waiting for something to dry. This is a journey and today was just my first couple of steps, it was more good than not.

I am eager to paint some more and try more new things - as Martha would say "that is a good thing." Smiles for now - tomorrow is another day --
Visit me here:
NathalieSDavis.blogspot.com
www.NSDavisArt.com

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mom - it is me, "the one previously known as Nathalie Davis".

    I was just catching up on your blogs that I have missed. I know - bad daughter but I gotta get some credit for busting my tail at work for dad. Come-on, just a couple "good daughter" points to fill in the hole?

    Anyway, on to the purpose for my ramblings: I just wanted to say I think you are REALLY COOL! I love reading your blogs and I am so excited for your new Hymn inspiration. I love your abastracts and my favorite thing about the figurative painting is the tie. I know - kind of weird but it carries a weight, is subtle and definitive at the same time and is such an important detail that I LOVE! Keep up the good work - it is so neat to see where you are headed. I love you tons and really admire your efforts and enjoy your outcomes! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nathalie,
    Good to see your new work!

    I'm writing today to say, "TAG! You're It!" this is a fun little thing that the bloggers do, to get to know each other and increase good traffic to your blog.
    this is how it works:

    1. Put a link in your posting to the person who tagged you (that would be me)
    2. List seven (7) unusual things about yourself.
    3. Tag seven (7) other bloggers at the end of your post and comment on their blogs to let them know.

    Hope you'll want to play!

    ReplyDelete